Date(s) - 11/08/2021
6:00 pm - 7:00 pm
Categories No Categories
What does a PM do anyway?
In this talk, Lester will attempt to provide insight into how he combined the various tools, skills, and mindsets of the three ‘product manager’, ‘program manager’ and ‘project manager’ roles to be effective in his job:
• Taking ownership and being accountable for the timely delivery of a product or program (or components thereof)
• Being the ‘glue’ that connects all the different product contributors to each other – communicating across teams, functions, domains, organizations
• Defining the strategy that guides the journey from the big picture to task breakdown – the ‘How’
• Paying attention to the details, watching the calendar, being the ‘canary in the coal mine’, documenting the process, following up, and bringing closure to open items.
• Growing and exercising ‘soft skill’ muscles – building strong interpersonal relationships, adopting/adapting to different working styles (methodologies, frameworks, mechanisms, etc),
• Understanding what powers you have and how to make effective use of them
About our speaker: Lester Dorman is a 25-year Silicon Valley veteran, currently in his 11th year at eBay in Selling Experience Engineering in a role that spans the areas of Chief of Staff for the VP of Engineering, Technical Program Manager of the core Selling Experience platform, and Product Manager for the Multi-User Account Access feature in Selling accounts. While he primarily identifies as a technical program manager in an engineering organization, his combination of tasks and responsibilities presents an interesting mix of challenges that makes every single day interesting and rewarding.